By Maureen Mancini Amaturo
What’s good for the street is good for the beach this year. So, bathing suits are floating every hot streetwear trend with options to extend your style from turf to surf. While this year’s women’s swimsuits have more fabric, men’s trunks are getting skimpier, tighter, and shorter. If you’re feeling adrift about what to wear in the water, check out the new wave.
The One Piece is the swimsuit of the moment. The best of them feature a deep V-neck that plunges to your midriff, the smallest part of your hourglass figure, and a high-cut leg, à la Baywatch, to elongate your look.
<<The 2017 Swimsuit Issue>>
• Lace-up fronts <and> sides. Sexy, playful.
• Cutouts. Truly bare or sheer-to-opaque fabric. Cutouts at the waist are a favorite (waist-accenting.) Graphic-shaped cutouts are the new twist. Solid black one-pieces with sheer or blush cutouts at the waist are incredibly flattering.
• Floral Embroidery. This No. 1 detail is everywhere.
• Tassels. No way you’re not going to have fun in tassels. Just tuck them under or to the side to avoid crazy tan lines.
• Ruffles. Small chest? Ruffled tops are great for you. Bigger bust? Pass on the ruffles. They’ll add bulk where you don’t need it.
• Crop-top two-piece suits, especially high-neck. Perfect whether you’re thin or not, flat or fully endowed.
• High waist. Classy and sexy, creates the hourglass illusion. Almost like a control-top bikini bottom. Trendiest choices combine a high-waist with cutout or lace.
• Halter top with cutouts or crochet cutouts. Halters and their sister trend, high-neck swimwear, bring attention to shoulders and create the illusion of a more balanced figure.
•Wrap-Around Features. The swimsuit version of the bandage dress adds support and shape. Same concept as the timeless wrap dress.
• One-Shoulder. Flatters all body types. Insecure about one strap holding things up? Many come with an extra strap to attach to the other side.
•String Bikinis are classic, however, the now version is yellow, animal print (especially tiger), or has tassels.
• Shades of yellow from light neon to almost nude. Even metallic gold, metallic being another big trend.
• Prints. Cheetah and tiger, of course. Other biggies: Tie-dye, chevron stripes, global ethnics, scarf prints, geometrics featuring orange, corals, pinks, and teal.
• Gingham. The hottest print of the moment brings a nostalgic touch and is on everything–for men and women..
Volcom Buds Forever long-sleeved swimsuit
H&M one-piece with ruffles
Floral-embroidered one-piece from Stella McCartney
L*Space Callie long sleeve Swim Top
Ruffled off-the-shoulder by Fuzzi Swim
Camilla animal print
Tassel one-piece from Anna Kosturova Swim
High-waist retro swimsuit from Carmen Marc Valvo
Kenneth Cole Reaction mesh embroidered one-piece
Rachel Roy floral
Floral high-neck wrap
One-Shoulder with cut-outs from Carmen Marc Valvo
Where the Boys Are
Men’s swimwear is showing more leg and moving away from board shorts. But there are some new styles in board — short lengths that hug the leg tighter to bring in the new silhouette. The trends are shorter, tighter, closer to the body, and mid-thigh length European fit.
Color and print trends: color blocking, geometric patterns, mixed prints (metallics, neon, stripes) vibrant colors.
Bold-striped men’s trunks
Gingham for men in trendy shorter length