By Maureen Mancini Amaturo
The biggest aww-factor with childrens’ clothes is that they are miniature versions of big-people fashion. Just think about those tiny construction boots, the mini glitter sneakers. So, if you’re looking to dress the kiddies in the trendiest holiday looks, all you have to do is find the small version of the big trends: velvet, embroidery, sparkle, colorful faux fur, denim, and red.
That said, the extra kick with kids’ clothes is that nostalgia can really up the adorable factor. Traditional prints – plaid, Nordic/Arctic patterns, buffalo check, and prairie or Victorian florals on flannel – turn little girls into real-life American Girl Dolls and little boys into animated teddy bears.
If buying gifts for the under-10 set, boys usually love fan gear (and you can get great buys at Marshalls or T.J.Maxx on NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB wear). You can’t go wrong with character-inspired tees, gloves, and hats –from Marvel superheroes to Minecraft, and Lego. Girls are likely to imitate older sisters, mom, and their Disney Channel idols. Styles for the 5- to 12-year-old set are as sophisticated as trendy teen looks.
On Fashion’s Holiday Nice List
• Velvet dress with sparkles or rhinestone/crystal accents
• Faux-fur trimmed jacket or dress
• Sequined skater skirt
• Red, white, and black print leggings under a red dress. Preferably with interesting sleeves, like a bell or ruffle
• Traditional red plaid skirt paired with a black mini moto jacket
• Denim shirt paired with a plaid bow tie
• Red jeans
• Black jeans, red plaid vest, white shirt, and red sneakers (red sneakers take this look to a new level.)
• Buffalo check
• Velvet blazer paired with black jeans.
• Thick, shawl-collared sweater, instead of a blazer, with a dress shirt and tie. For a classic look, pair with dress pants.
And Don’t Forget Pajamas
Everyone loves cuddling in special holiday pajamas on Christmas Eve. The styles are getting more and more clever each year.
Cozy, warm buffalo check one-piece at Kohl’s
Fire chief themed pajamas that can double as a costume at Kohl’s.
Florence Eiseman plaid bow ties at Hoagland’s in Greenwich
Miss Behave brocade dress under rose gold faux leather jacket from Splendid at Hoagland’s
Zoe Ltd. organza and satin dress, a new take on the traditional black watch plaid, at Hoagland’s
For boys, shirts that feature red in a hip way. Pair with black jeans.
Silvian Heach navy faux fur jacket for girls
Alternate to traditional black watch plaid in organza and satin by Zoe Ltd.
Florence Eiseman plaid bow ties, Raguzzo white shirt to pair with jeans for boys
Colorful faux fur hair pompoms
Miss Behave brocade dress, rose gold faux leather jacket by Splendid, faux fur mini backpack
Billieblush navy tulle dress with neon faux fur pompoms
Billieblush tulle sparkle skirt with matching top (sold separately) with faux fur and charm details