Here is the first of what we hope will be fun and educational local history quizzes, courtesy of our longtime contributor and esteemed historian Paul Hicks. The answers will appear in our next issue, October 13.
• The official seal of the City of Rye contains three dates (1660, 1904, and 1942). What does each date signify?
• What famous poet and former Rye resident wrote:
“Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker?”
• What was the previous name of the Village of Port Chester?
• Who was the first Democratic mayor of Rye?
• In what decade did the New York and New Haven Railroad reach Rye?
• Which Tom Hanks movie was filmed at Playland?