By Kicki Storm
Let’s celebrate the return of what we have really missed: dressing up, going to the office, strolling the streets, and dining out. Fall is on and as is our great re-emergence. We’ve celebrated the return of the US Open, the Met Gala, Broadway, and Fashion Week. It’s the chance to appear in person again. While working from home and laying low has had its perks, who isn’t excited by the chance of a fresh start and a new wardrobe? So, let’s do it in style. Event season is ramping up and roaring 20s glamour is having a comeback. Everyone wants to be out and about.
There are so many reasons to get dressed up again. To glam up nights out, think adorned dresses, tops, jeans, and shoes. Throw in a little 70s influence with bright, saturated colors from disco/diva trends.
For every day, the look is cool, comfy, and cozy. Easy pieces for women include capes, shawls, comfort knits, vegan leather, and cool fashion sneakers which are great for work, travel, and entertaining.
Men can get luxe casual, too, with leather (a timeless wardrobe staple), geometric knitwear, varsity jackets, and slim jeans. Athleisure is still our favorite. Get moving with new high-performance activewear and hit the ground running. Men can recharge their routine with the must-have tech suit. Grab your Bala Bangles and go.
You can’t go wrong with any in the perennial fall palette camel, burnt orange, mustard, burgundy, olive green, reds, off-white — but bright purple is this season’s hot color.
Must-haves for women include embellishments (pearls, sequins, and crystals), fringes and lace detailing, patterned fabrics with checks and houndstooth, biker jackets, leather pants, oversized sweaters and blazers, menswear-inspired suits, clogs, lug sole boots, platform shoes, cozy slides, and mini bags.
For men, if you didn’t buy Chelsea boots last fall, do so now. And throw on a sweater vest, polo shirt (a return to preppy), a graphic and/or statement T-shirt.
A comeback wardrobe is yours for the picking. Curate pieces that reflect your personal style and choose those that make you feel special, you’ve earned it.
Featured are fashions from local Rye retailers photographed by Kicki Storm at Wainwright House and the beach at Shenorock Shore Club. Studio shots courtesy of Holton, Manhattan luxury design house.
- Karina Gomez Verni wearing high-rise washed denim jeans from Angela’s. White textured sweater, black moto jacket, and earrings from Love Bella. Susan Murray wearing dark, soft, skinny jeans, blouse, and blue vegan leather moto jacket and earrings from Love Bella. Lug sole boots from Angela’s.
- Ever-stylish Alvin Clayton in Glen plaid blazer and slacks from Holton Bespoke.
- Karina Armstrong and Gwen Clayton in jewel-toned evening gowns from Holton Bespoke.
- Gwen Clayton in vegan leather pants, blouse, camel sweater from Great Stuff. Lee Ann Gilman in jeans and black fringed jacket from Havana Jeans. Clogs, peep toe shoes, and vegan handbag from Shoes ‘N’ More.
- Gwen Clayton in floral flirty dress, nude platform sandals, sunglasses, and nude embellished clutch from Shoes ‘N’ More.
- Karina Armstrong in Angela’s vegan leather pants, embellished sweater, and lug sole boots.
- Karina Armstrong in Angela’s sequin-collared, purple checked dress
- Kicki Storm in shawl, sweater, and ankle fray skinny cords from Great Stuff
- Lee Ann Gilman in jeans, boyfriend sweater, tank, mini bag, and platform shoes from Misfit Bazaar
- Storm Armstrong in a graphic T, Prada sunglasses, and slim jeans from Bloomingdale’s
- Storm Armstrong in a Tech Suit ready for an athletic day.