The City Council has amended Chapter 76 “Dogs” of the Rye City Code in order to allow dog owners,
The City Council has amended Chapter 76 “Dogs” of the Rye City Code in order to allow dog owners, who have registered for a permit with the Rye City Clerk’s Office, to let their dogs off their leashes in a specified area of Rye Town Park between the hours of 6 and 9 a.m. Dogs must be leashed at all other times.
In order to receive the permit, dog owners must complete an application and provide proof that their dog is licensed and up to date on their rabies shots. In addition to the permit, which must be carried at all times when in the park, the owner will receive a tag that must be attached to the dog’s collar. Additional regulations include:
• The maximum number of dogs that any one person shall have custody and control over is three.
• Dog owners must clean up after their dogs.
• Owners must not leave dogs unattended and shall have dogs under voice control at all times.
• Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries caused by them.
• Dogs must be discouraged from digging – Owners must fill any holes their dogs dig.
• Aggressive dogs are not permitted.
The permit will be renewable every year. During the first year of the program, there is no charge for the permit. Application forms can be downloaded from the Permits and Forms section of the City of Rye website (www. ryeny.gov).
If you have any questions, contact the City Clerk’s Office, 967-7371, during regular business hours.